This is a question I have been asked multiple times. Yep, I write books. Yep, I know you. Nope, I have never and will never name a character after you.
- Your name might suck. I don’t just name my characters the first name that pops into my head. The name has to suit their personality, their history, the era etc. Need I go on?
- Why do you think I should? Do you reckon you’re deserving of being immortalised on the page? Asking me makes you sound egotistical- just saying.
- My characters need to be their own people. If I give them your name, then I’ve got you in my head when I’m writing.
- What if they make bad choices, or become psychotic? Like I say, characters are their own people, and if their natural progression is to ‘go over to the dark side’, don’t pretend you won’t be offended. YOU TOTALLY WILL.
- On a related note- If I gave a character your name and a huge wart on the end of their nose, you’d have something to say to me.
- Perhaps, just perhaps, I don’t like you that much. I’m just joking… Or am I?
However, take comfort in this- most of my characters have facets of me, my friends, and my family in them. I draw on experience from my own life and surroundings. So, I’ll leave it to you to make up your own mind whether you are the muse for my baddie…Mwahaha
All written works are the property of K.J.Chapman
GIFs sourced from GIPHY.COM